29 June, 2015

The angle between vector ( i + j ) and ( j + k ) is ( in Radian )


The angle between vector ( i + j ) and ( j + k ) is ( in Radian )


solution :  -
Let us consider
A = i + j
B = j + k
To find out the
angle between the two vectors we must have to find out the dot ( scalar ) product of vector A and vector B.
The dot ( scalar ) product of these vectors can be represented as
A . B = І A І . І B І Cos Ѳ
Therefore
Cos Ѳ = ( A . B ) / ( І A І . І B І )
 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ( 1 )
Now
A .B        = ( i + j ) . (j + k )
                = ( i . j ) + ( i . k ) + ( j . j  ) + ( j . k )
As i , j  and k are the unit vectors along with the X axis , Y axis and Z axis respectively. So unit vector i , j  and k are perpendicular to each other .
Therefore ,
( i . j  )    = І i І І j І ( Cos Ѳ )
                = І i І І j І ( Cos 90 )
As Cos 90 = 0 , above equation becomes
( i . j  )    = І i І І j І ( 0 )
( i . j  )    = 0
Similarly ,
( i . j  ) = ( i . k ) = ( j . k ) = 0 
Therefore ,
A . B       = ( j . j  )
                = ( 1 . 1)
                = 1
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ( 2 )

The magnitude of the vector can be given as . . . . . .  .
I A I        =  ( I i I 2 + I j I 2   + I k I 2 )  
                =   ( I 1 I 2 + I 1 I 2   + I 0 I 2 )
                =  ( 1 + 1 + 0)
I A I        =  ( 2 )

Similarly ,
I B I         =  ( I i I 2 + I j I 2   + I k I 2 )
                =   ( I 0 I 2 + I 1 I 2   + I 1 I 2 )
                =  ( 0 + 1 + 1 )
I B I         =  ( 2 )
Therefore
I A I . I B I =  [  ( 2 ) ] .  [  ( 2 ) ]
                   = 2
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ( 3 )
Putting equation ( 2 ) and ( 3 ) in equation ( 1 ) we get ,

Cos Ѳ    = ( A . B ) / ( І A І . І B І )
Cos Ѳ    = ( 1 ) / ( 2 )
Cos Ѳ    = 1 / 2
Therefore ,
Ѳ             = Cos - 1 ( 1 / 2 )
Ѳ             = 60O
This value is in degrees , we have to convert it in to the radian .
The formula for conversion is as follows
Rad        = Deg  X ( π / 180 )  
                = 60 X ( π / 180 )
Rad        =  π / 3

Answer:
The angle between vector ( i + j ) and ( j + k ) is  π / 3

No comments:

Post a Comment